Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Is this a pay per answer portal Pearl? 1986 Chevrolet

Customer Question

Is this a pay per answer portal Pearl?
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1986 Chevrolet Allegro. 6.2 V8 diesel.
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: I assume the engine is the original 1986 lump. Don't know about the last proper service. Ive MOT'd it twice since I've had it but hardly ever have had time to use it. Now that I have more time I am starting to find faults.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have two problems connected to temperature. The temp gauge goes straight above the H when I turn ignition on.Firstly, a freeze plug is leaking water so I have sourced replacements.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Secondly, the glow plug light doesn't come on any more.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would like to start this process again. My actual problem description has gone off into the ether and it looks like I am going to be charged for telling you some of the symptoms. Please advise.thank youSteve
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

please explain your question..is the temp gauge your problem?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Upon starting the temp gauge goes to maximum, above the "H". Upon checking the water in the tank above the radiator, we found it to be empty. Traced this loss of water to a core or freeze plug which drips when engine is off so we assume it loses it a lot quicker under pressure. Replacement plugs are a pound each and I'll order some when we narrow down what else we need.
The glow plug light has stopped coming on when I turn the key. I have been looking at engine diagrams and exploded view of the glow plug system and looking at the engine, what I think are the glow plugs have an electrical connection next to each one. At least one of these pointed plug looking components is disconnected and rusted, in need of replacement. Just haven't worked out what this part is called yet and need to explore how to extract them including if they break off.
I have been told to locate the temperature sensor at the front of the engine somewhere and also a black or grey box somewhere at the rear of the engine which ought to have two (red?) wires into it.
We have had the thermostat out and boiled it in a saucepan. It clicked open and closed under heat.
That is about as far as I have gone so far Tim and I am now away until the weekend. Any involvement you can give will be appreciated. As to the payment for your services, I am not sure whether I am running up a bill here or if my account is active, with which I have registered my details and opted for the £33 package after the free trial. For clarity, could you confirm that we are within my trial period?
I look forward to getting down to it and getting my RV running again.Cheers ***** ***** Tim.Steve

hi

i am a mechanic..i really dont have access to your account.

i will give you what info i have on this old of model.glow plugs and the temperature sensor

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amufuwdw9hpddzm/1010-6.2-Glow%20Plug%20System%20Wiring%20Schematic.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/amufuwdw9hpddzm/1010-6.2-Glow%20Plug%20System%20Wiring%20Schematic.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help