Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

Drove this morning engine light started fllashing, now it is

Customer Question

drove this morning engine light started fllashing, now it is a solid light.
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: it started blinking pulled over turned car off started the car again. flashing light turned to a solid light. its the light that looks like an engine yellow
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 03 chevy suburban
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked the gas cap that was it. i do not work on my car besides oil changes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just had new tires put on and they did an oil change.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 13 days ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

Any engine performance issues like skipping or stalling?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
it felt funny yesterday like it was spurtering but then got felt fine
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm going to a mechanic this morning get the code
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 13 days ago.

Ok. When the Check Engine light blinks, this is "Random Cylinder Misfire". Which means the on-board computer sees one or more of the cylinders aren't firing correctly, but it doesn't know why... yet. When the light turns solid, the on-board computer now knows the root of the problem. Unfortunately, there are many things that can cause a cylinder misfire; worn spark plugs, a faulty ignition coil, a faulty fuel injector, etc... So, at this point, we'll need the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") scanned from the computer. These p-codes will more accurately point us in the direction of the root of the problem. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). More commonly here will be plugs, coil or injector. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 12 days ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful and informative?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 days ago.