Experience:  Service Consultant at Main Motor Chevrolet

05 malibu maxx highbeam indicator want go off

Customer Question

Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  TODD RUZICKA replied 14 days ago.

Hi and thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear your vehicle is having this issue. I'll do my best to help. When cycling the high beam switch, do the high beams actually turn off like they're supposed to, but the indicator stays on by itself? Am I understanding correctly?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Ok, I did a little research. Because the high beams actually turn on and off, we know the switch is operating as designed. However, there are two other components involved in this circuit. The Body Control Module (BCM) and the Instrument Panel (I/P - gauge assembly). Unfortunately, neither component is all that cheap. The circuitry between the I/P and BCM will have to be tested in order to verify which item is at fault. The BCM may be signaling the I/P cluster to keep the high beam indicator on, OR the I/P cluster assembly circuitry is shorted which would keep the indicator on.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
any way to diag this to figure out which is at fault.have ford experence but not much with chevys

The only real way is to have a scanner and watch data inputs / outputs in both modules, then test the wiring in order to verify proper connections.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
your telling me i need to go to a dealership

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but either way, the dealer would need to program whichever item was the fault. Again, sorry there is no quick and easy fix for such an issue. I hope this helped a little anyway.