rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My 2004 chevy tahoe wont start. I got in it to crank it up

Customer Question

My 2004 chevy tahoe wont start. I got in it to crank it up and it just goes "thunk". Then i try again and "thunk"!! I thought first maybe battery, so i tried jumping off. Same thing. Then I said its probally the starter. So i replaced. Guess what? Same thing. It really almost acts as though the motor is locked up, but I beleve thats impossible. Oil level is fine.....HELP!!!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

Not impossible at all. Try turning the crank in the front of the motor with a socket and ratchet. If it turns okay, then you're good and need to find the high current draw such as battery cables.

If the crank doesn't turn, pull out the spark plugs and try it again.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Which way do i turn crank? To driver side or pass? Also why would it do this if i can turn it?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

It doesn't matter, we're not trying to start it, just see if it turns. We're running some tests right now to see if the motor is seized or if you have an electrical issue.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link for when you need ma again later on.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok Im gonna try it in a little while and get back with you. Im cleaning up atom debri from Matthew. Give me a few hrs
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Storm debri
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hey sir. Im back. I got up under and turned the crank a few turns one way then a few turns the other way andbit seemed stiff. Dont knowbif this is normal with brlts and stuffbon. Then i t egg ied to start a couple of times. It went thunk, thunk thunk then it started!!! What is going on? This is my sons car and i dont know if i should trust this. Explain
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hey sir, I'm back. I got up under and turned the crank a few turns one way then a few bump turns the other way and it seemed stiff. Dont know if this is normal. Then I tried to start a couple of times. It went thunk, then thunk thunk, then the 3rd time it started!!!!What's going on? This is my sons car and I dont know if I should trust this. Please explain.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

It does sound like you need to check engine compression for evenness in each cylinder. Also, check the flywheel for damage.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me. I don't get credit for helping you until you rate me.