Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Fans are not coming on at temp climb on 2000 Chevy

Customer Question

Fans are not coming on at temp climb on 2000 Chevy venture... internal gauge seems to be working. Fans will come on if temp sensor lead is set to ground
JA: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.
Customer: ;I checked from the back side while it was plugged in .. I did not pierce the wires I loosened the weather seal in the back and
JA: Are you fixing your Venture yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: used a dental pic to tap the connectors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am fixing it my self... a new thermostat and radietor have been installed I checked the relays and they are all functioning
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The Vehicle was brought to a shop and no fault codes were indicated. The temp sender seemed to be
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 months ago.

Hello, what temp climb? how high and what temp?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ove 50% of the Guage and beyond
The van is over heating
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The fans are not coming on.

Unsure and lost access to info I need to help so I will opt out

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. In reading your notes you stated that if you put the temp sensor leads to ground they come on? Did you test the temp sensor properly for it's operation? obviously if it came on when you grounded that circuit out you have bypassed that sensor and confirmed the rest of the system is working.I will give you a link on how to check a temp sensor.

do this; Testing the coolant temperature sensor is a very quick process. With the use of a digital volt-ohm meter you can easily tell if the sensor is faulty or not. Connect the black lead of the digital ohm meter to a solid grounding. This can be any solid piece of metal. Next, connect the red lead to the terminal end of the coolant temperature sensor. Before turning the meter on, set the digital reading to the 20K range. For the testing process you will need to turn the engine on. Let the engine run for a full two minutes to allow the engine to get up to running temperature. While the engine is running you need to be continually checking the digital ohm meter. You are looking for readings that are more than 200 ohms in variance between a cold and warm engine. If you do not see anything that is more than 200 ohms in difference, the coolant temperature sensor is defective and will need to be replaced.

Hope this helps you solve your problem and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so. Don't forget to rate me, thank you.