cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified ASE Technician With 35 years experience

Intermittent problem- 2009 Traverse LT loses power. While

Customer Question

Intermittent problem- 2009 Traverse LT loses power. While driving, it will intermittently lose power to all gauges, a/c, radio. Problem usually will signal it's onset by flashing messages that various system have failed- stabilitrack, park assist, traction control, others. If I happen to shut the car off while the problem is happening, then the car will not start. Occasionally, I will get in the car and when I turn the key on, there is no gauge indications, no radio, no a/c blower, and it will not click or make any attempt to crank. If I cycle the key off and on several times, it will usually wake up and work properly. The problem is most severe during the hottest times of the day. So far, I have replaced the battery, underhood fuse block, body control module, and ignition switch. I'm working my way through verifying all grounds on the car are good. I will gladly try anything at this point.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It comes and goes randomly
JA: Are you fixing your Traverse yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am. I mentioned my attempted fixes above
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have pushed, pulled and flexed every wiring harness I can reach with no effect on the problem
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
When the failure occurs while driving, the car continues to run. It never turns on the check engine light.
Expert:  cardoctor71 replied 15 days ago.

Most likely the problem will either be internal in the powertrain control module, its programming, or the wiring leading to it, bad grounds etc, possibly a faulty wiring harness, this issue will require inspection of all wiring for rodent damage, a live data scanner with the capability to reflash programming of the powertrain control module, and very accurate color coded wiring diagrams and component location index. The loss of power and the electrical could possibly be separate issues as well. If you do not have the specialized equipment and knowledge to use them you are likely to spend more than you need to ,to solve the problem. Please rate my service, if you have additional questions i will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I do not see a powertrain control module listed in the GM service manual. Are you referring to the engine control module located in the left front corner of the engine compartment?I have to believe that there is an experience base that exists somewhere within the GM knowledge system- I've seen several other people posting about this problem on the Chevy Traverse forum, but haven't seen any fixes for it posted. Someone has surely found it and fixed it by now.

Powertrain control module is the engine control module in the left front corner of the engine compartment but you have to understand that it is the central interface for all other modules on the vehicle ,this problem may be specific to your vehicle only and info will not be on forums, only Master Certified Techs with 30 + years have come across these type problems. Professionals rarely use a forum unless it is a widespread problem across the country that is publicized by the manufacturer utilizing technical service bulletins available to dealerships.