Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My car won't start. On Monday I jumped the car out it in

Customer Question

My car won't start. On Monday I jumped the car out it in reverse and it stopped in the middle of the street. It started working Tuesday after changing the post battery but on my way to work the rpm, speedometer and gas dropped to zero. I drove a few more miles and it stopped on the street again at a red light. I turned it off and tried to turn it back on but it wouldn't. It turned on later on to get myself home but it's basically picking and choosing when it wants to turn on. Advance Auto did a test and it said my battery and starter were good. Don't know what I should do and how I can fix this problem. Please help me
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 20 days ago.

If the battery and starter are in fact good, then I would suspect a bad alternator or a charging system problem. Your best bet would be to get the engine starter (using a jump if needed) and then checking the alternator output. It should be approximately 14.0 volts with the engine running. The battery fully charged should be 12.6 volts and the cables and connection should be clean and tight of course. If the engine does not start with a jump, you can check voltage on the main fuses under the hood to ensure you have a bad connection from the battery. However, based on what your telling me, it sure sounds like the alternator is at fault. Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 19 days ago.

Also, please feel free to request a phone call if you would like to speak over the phone. I am confident you will be happy with the results. I can speak on the phone just about any time today.