Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My 2004 chevy silverado 2500 HD fires off for a couple

Customer Question

my 2004 chevy silverado 2500 HD fires off for a couple seconds, then stops
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

What sort of diagnostic tools do you have? Scan tool? Multimeter?

Can you hear the fuel pump buzz when you first turn the key to the run position? It should buzz for about 3 seconds each time the key is turned to run.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tried my friends scanner and got "no communication" with computer. Fuel pressure on engine is 60 lbs. Fuel pump is priming. Have multimeter and test light
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like you have a short. I've seen a couple dozen of these trucks with rodent damage to the wiring under the under hood fuse box. Can you pull the battery box up and check the wiring underneath for signs of damage?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll try that
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

If it looks ok the next place to check will be SP205. It's the connector under the dash on the left of the steering wheel.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What does it look like?
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Splice pack SP205, is taped to the harness above the left side footwell light under the Instrument Panel (IP) on the left side near the back of the fuse block.

Remove the "Comb". Connect a scanner to the DLC. Use a suitable jumper to short pin D, a Purple wire to the Dk Green wire at pin B. Attempt to communicate with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

If communications work, use another jumper to short pins B and D to each of the other pins in SP205 one at a time. Determine which wire/module is causing the communications failure. When that wire/module is shorted to pins B and D, the scanner will go to "No Communications".

Go to that module for a circuit failure in the Class 2 data circuit or power or ground issue going to that particular module.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Hi, do you still need help with this?

If not, please don't forget to rate.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
jumped pin B to pin D and still did not have communication
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

That's odd. The short must be closer to the battery junction box (underhood fuse box) then. Were you able to look underneath the box for rodent damage?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no visible damage under the under hood fuse block