Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

1998 silverado 1500 5 l extended cab, auto with ac. WILL NOT

Customer Question

1998 silverado 1500 5 l extended cab, auto with ac. WILL NOT RUN/START. New injectors, new coil, new battery, new ignition, new fuel pump. Fuel pressure good. Starter cranks over but engine will not fire. When key is turned to start, engine turns but scanner reads ignition circuit not ON. Wire by wire check showed on problem. My mechanic has thrown in the towel. HELP
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

We need Fuel & Spark for the engine to start ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

what are we missing , are the injectors firing , did he check thre ground from the pcm ?

are ignition coil firing , check power & ground ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Spark yes
Fuel pressure good
Injectors new and firing
Ignition coil firingMy mechanic contacted Chevy and performed their extensive check list. Each and every wire checked to include fuses.New ignition installed no result. As I advised when the key is turned to start position the scanner reads ignition off.Mechanic has printed out a chronological list of all work completed but am unable to obtain until late today. They have had the truck for 6 weeks

i will opt out of your question for another expert to help on this one , not sure

good luck

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks anyway. By the way I have been told that 98 Chevy Truck 5 l have been known for this problem
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

new expert here my name is ***** ***** you still need help ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

ok to regroup here you have :

good spark at all the spark plugs wires at the spark plugs when cranking it over ?

key ON engine OFF fuel pressure of @ 60 PSI ?

over 120 PSI of compression on all 8 cylinders ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

the spark plugs are wet when removed and checked after cranking it over ?

are the plugs new ?

how or when did this all start ?

was it out of the blue one day ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The plugs are new. It went gradually. After replacing two fuel pumps, ignition key circuit, fuel injectors it worked fine. Ran for 1 year. Then one day just would not start. Towed to mechanic. He replaced distributer rotor and new battery advising the battery showed not enough cranking power. No charge for battery as it was Lee's than 6 months old. Ran fine for 4 weeks then I felt a little sputtering when driving. The sputtering quit quickly. Pulled into my driveway, turned it off and back on again with no problem.Next morning it would not start again. Towed in. Left with mechanic for 3 days. They called saying they did not get to work on it and to come get it because it is running. Said they turned it on and off several times drove around with no problems.Next morning I went down to pick up. Got in turned key and again would not start.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

i am assuming the fuel has been tested good for no water or anything in the fuel ?

new distributor cap ?

will ti run on starting fluid being sprayed down the throttle body ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fuel is fine no water and pressure is good at 60. Yes used starter fluid after it failed to start the last time it did not work.Mechanic then advised they would do electrical survey using scanners and light testers as well as a 18 page wiring check list protocol obtained from Chevrolet. He advised not wiring problems and replaced anything that even looked a little funny. He advised when they turn the key on their scanner indicates the ignition is off. They replaced the entire ignition system and indicator still said ignition is off when the key was actually in the state position
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

with the key ON is the check engine light lit up in the dash ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not that I've been told. The check engine light has come on numerous times since I've owned the vehicle. This occurred after I had to replace the original gas cap several years ago. The engine code always said there is an emissions problem due to faulty gas cap. I replaced the cap twice and the light would go off. It did however come back on but would then go off after a couple of days. I quit replacing the caps 5 years ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

with it not starting now with the key ON is the check engine light lit up in the dash ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know, I don't have the truck with me. I have to tow it out of their yard tomorrow. I can run down there now and run the check you requested. It will take me about 30 minutes.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just for your info they are so frustrated with the truck they are not charging me for their time
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

you dont have to run down right now for that

if this has spark the ignition system has its volts and the crank sensor is good

can you pull a few spark plugs and see if they are wet with gas after cranking it over

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can do that tomorrow when I tow it home. How do I reconnect with you tomorrow
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

just reply right back through this post for any follow up anytime

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great, and thanks, ***** ***** again in the morning. I will also have a complete write up from them advising everything that was done.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

sounds good