Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Have a 1989 Chevy pickup with a 5.7. The fuel pump went out

Customer Question

Have a 1989 Chevy pickup with a 5.7. The fuel pump went out so I put a new one in and hooked it up. I also put a new fuel filter in. It wouldn't start. So I replaced the fuel relay. It still won't start. I pulled the fuel line off of the filter and it squirts out when I turn the key on. It doesn't seem like there's a lot of pressure. I can hold back the fuel easily with my finger. I'm stumped. Where do I go from here?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Fuel pressure on that isn't that much, only like 10 psi or so. If you have fuel pressure, you probably don't have the fuel injectors working. Check the fuse/s.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

See if it starts up for a few seconds with a few shots of starting fluid or a shot glass of gas poured into the throttle body. If it does, then it's most likely the fuel injectors either have no voltage to them, so you could check with a voltmeter or 12 volt test light with the key on run, or that the fuel injectors do not pulse, meaning as long as the fuses are ok and the ecm is getting power and ground it could be faulty fuel injector drivers inside the ecm but let's rule out the other things for right now.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

They are fuses ecm1 and a ecmb fuse.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.