Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

My fuel pump is not getting power. Brand new, 06 cobalt LS

My fuel pump is not getting power.
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: Brand new
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 06 cobalt LS 2.2
JA: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and I have replaced the fuel pump, relay, and fuse.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I replaced the starter and clutch

If you have a new pump, relay and fuse and you still don't have voltage at the fuel pump there might be a problem with the PCM. Do you have a scan tool to check for communication with the PCM?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No check engine light. I jumped the relay and the pump turns on and the car runs fine.

Do you have a scan tool to check for communication with the PCM? Not trouble codes, communication. If you can't get the PCM to communicate you could have a bad fuel pump driver in the PCM and still not set any trouble codes.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
You mean like one that plugs into the OBD2 port and reads the engine codes?

Exactly. You will need to know if your PCM is sending the power on signal to the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I will have to get back to you on that. How long does this chat session last on the payment I already made?

I don't get to see any of the payment information from my end. I only receive payment from the deposit that you have already made once you rate my response. Otherwise I don't get paid anything at all. I'll be here to help as long as you need, assuming that you will offer a positive rating once you are ready.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No codes and and I think your onto something with the relay not getting a signal to turn on. What would cause that?

No codes or no communication?

It's one thing to have no codes stored, it's another thing if you can't get the scan tool to communicate with the PCM.

What sort of scan tool are you using?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I will try again. Tonight. Don't worry help me figure this out and our getting a full perfect rating.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Plugged in and it seems there is no signal to turn on the fuel pump.

So it looks like the PCM is communicating but not sending the on signal to the pump?

That could still be a PCM issue if the fuel pump driver is burned out in the PCM. Isl your scan tool able to send the on command?