Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

2009 Chevy Cobalt. My right turn signal operates on it's

Customer Question

2009 Chevy Cobalt. My right turn signal operates on it's own. Pressing the brake pedal seems to have some effect on it. I have checked the switch and it seems to be fine. I have seen something about the BCM perhaps having some control of the blinker. I am at a loss.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. When you say that the brake pedal has an effect on it, what happens?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sometimes when I press the brake pedal the turn signal turns off but not all of the time. Sometimes it quits on its own and sometimes when I press the gas it turns off. At some point the turn signal will turn off and stay that way the rest of the day. I have this problem mostly when I first start to operate the car.

When you operate the switch, does it work on command as it is supposed to?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no, i have to hold the switch to just before it clicks for them to work right or left. After the point of clicking I have to press down for the signals to work.

ok, thank you. You mentioned that you checked the switch and it seems to be fine, what did you do to check it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I remove the switch and performed a check I found on youtube. I'll see if I can find a link to it.

When you were checking it, were you measuring resistance between various terminals on the switch while operating it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I performed the steps as mentioned in the below video. I did this some time ago so I do not recall if I measured the resistance, but I did follow the directions to the tee.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYGnEG3hzCc

I see, it looks like you have covered your bases! It seems to me that the most likely component that has failed would be your flasher relay. Have you checked/replaced the flasher?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not been able to locate the flasher relay.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where do I find the flasher relay?

I will try to locate it for you...give me a few moments

I am sorry, as I was looking at the diagram for this setup, I found that this model does not utilize the flasher module at all. As you had mentioned before, the only other component in the system is the body control module and it is responsible for both controlling the signal to the bulbs and its flash signal.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
would it be safe to assume then that I would likely have to replace the BCM?

Unfortunately, after looking at the diagram and seeing the tests that you ran on the switch, I would say yes. I wish I had better news :-(

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well, at least now I know. Is the BCM the complete box along with fuses to the right and below the radio?

Yes, that is the bcm

Do you have any other questions for me? If so, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, please take a moment to rate my service! Thanks, Josh