Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

2003 Chevy Astro van crank but not starting, fuel Pump

Customer Question

2003 Chevy Astro van crank but not starting, fuel
Pump engages primes engine but it doesn't start rained here yesterday and this usually happens when it very humid or rains
I was told it's the distributor gets wet or what have you cap and rotor but it's brand new three four months of this got wet what must I do to correct problem and hopefully get van started ?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 17 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Inspect the coil wire running from the ignition coil to the distributor and see if it is cracked,rubbed through or damaged needing replaced.This was a common fault for this issue here in humidity or rain faults.If this is or was already checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hey Pete would you be able to give me all possible causes due to rain ?, car was fine before rain wires distributor and cap all new plugs also new
I ask for all
Possible causes due to fact I need to disassemble interior engine cover which I haven't done yet
Expert:  Pete replied 17 days ago.

Issues due to rain are the coil wire,coil itself breaking down with the moisture or the crank sensor at the bottom of the timing cover.I have seen these affected by moisture in the past before needing replaced for this issue here.Inspect the engine wiring harness on top of the engine as well for any damage,chafing or cuts in it as this can also be affected with moisture needing repaired or replaced.

You might have the fault codes checked as well with a compatible scan tool to see if any codes set.If any codes set this will help in locating the fault needing repaired for this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I got cover off distributor seems bone dry on outside ignition cool
I'm having trouble locating I have Haynes repair manual but I don't see ignition cool in can anywhere
Expert:  Pete replied 17 days ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Are you asking where the ignition coil is located?