Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

1998 Chevy Cheyenne, 4x4 auto transmission. Replaced the

Customer Question

1998 Chevy Cheyenne, 4x4 auto transmission. Replaced the starter and ignition. Now no matter what it WILL NOT START. Had locksmith out to "reKey" ignition. He states it does not have a security feature. Security light stays on for only a few seconds and then shuts off--NO MATTER which way we try to "re-set" security. Always stays for few seconds and shuts off. Last year someone tried to steal the vehicle. Took to mechanic as steering column busted to pieces. Mechanic acknowledged there was a security mechanism and had a heck of a time getting it to start. Please help as my husband is about to blow a gasket! AGAIN!
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: Security light stays solid for about 5-10 seconds and then shuts off. And yes we have viewed, done, and redone trying to reset the security system. We are even now on our second new ignition.
JA: What is the model of your '98 Chevy?
Customer: 1998 Chevy Cheyenne K1500 automatic with manual 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new starter, new battery, 2 new ignitions, auto lock smith that states it does not have a transponder security system- every possible combination of security system resets.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Even the auto-lock smith guy said it sounds like the truck isn't getting gas..which the security system as far as we have been told is THAT feature, it shut of the connection of gas flow. My husband says it isn't the fuel pump as he hears it working.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

First lets make sure it's not the fuel pump. I know it's making noise, but sometimes that's not enough.

Try spraying starting fluid or brake cleaner, or fuel, or pretty much anything that is flammable in the intake and see if it will start and run for a few seconds.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We are currently in the process of charging the battery as with all of this it's not happy. We have break cleaner. Just waiting for the battery to trickle charge with our charger.
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Ok. Let me know if it will run on supplemental fuel and we'll go from there.

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you still need help on this. Please don't forget to rate.