kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

No start what is wrong

Customer Question

No start what is wrong
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 7 months ago.

Can you tell me what happened before it stopped running please? Have you had the battery disconnected?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have had the battery disconnect ed I was driving down the road and it backfired and blow out black smoke and died and I haven't been able to get it started since

The first thing you will need to do is check the fuel pressure. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge to check it with?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked it to day it was56/62 ps
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
steady at that
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The engine just got rebuilt 2000 miles ago
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
New starter new fuel pump new fuel pressure sensors Nucor new control module pretty much everything new
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
New EGR valve new camshaft position sensor distributor and crank shaft positioner has been changed

Did you use ac delco cap and rotor button on this truck or a cheaper aftermarket set?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A more expensive one that's not made out of plastic
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This truck did run with the distributor that is in it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I even went as far as putting in a new idle air control valve on the spider and changing the spider from the from another one
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It started out reading codes that said that I was burning too much fuel air flow mixture and I started changing sensors and then the black smoke and died and I never been able to get it started again

When you checked the fuel pressure, did it hold pressure or did it bleed off fast?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am going to be performing a pressure test on the cylinders tomorrow morning
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It seemed that it was it stayed steady
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When the engine was turned when the engine was turned in the off position that's what I got over pressure reading of 55
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I took out the spark plugs this morning they had gasoline on at least five of the cylinders if that's anything that will help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's got me so f****** puzzled that I'm about to lose my mind

Have you checked for spark out of the coil as well as at the spark plugs?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got as far as finding out there spark coming out of the coil I wasn't able to check the spark on the spark plugs it got dark
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I started a compression test this morning after I took the plugs out but the pressure tester I was using would say that there was only 30 pounds of pressure coming out of 160 pounds coming out of another one that was kind of all the way around the motor but then whenever I got home with the new pressure tester I was getting average of about 120 to 140 pounds
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I couldn't really see the new tester by the plug so I was going to wait until tomorrow to do a lot better examination of the compression on the engine

Do you have an oreily's near you? If you do can you get an ac delco cap and rotor button? It sounds like you have a problem with the cap jumping spark to the wrong cylinders. I can not tell you how many times I have gotten bad caps from parts stores. One time I went through 12 caps and they all had a flaw in them and would jump spark through the plastic to the wrong cylinders. You will also need to unplug the icm and turn the engine over a few good ties to dry the cylinders out and then redo the comp test. You will also need to check to make sure that there is no gas in the oil. If there is any chance of gas in the oil, change it. Gas will make the oil not protect the bearings and just turning it over can damage the bearings.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I took the cap off I did see a burn on the center piece on the plastic and it felt like there might have been a crack there
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It doesn't look like one from the outside but I felt the third you know whenever I felt the thing it felt like there might be a crowd little bitty quarter inch crack in that right by that a centerpiece

It is possible that the spark is going through the crack or impurfection and going to the metal shaft of the distributor and not out to the spark plugs.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't really know I know that the bird is on the middle shift in the distributor cap and that's where the crap it feels like there's a little crack there inside the barn you can when you're rubbing it you can feel it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll pick up a new cap tomorrow do you think I needed rotor 2
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The wires are about a year old but they've been sitting on the engine for a year without being started or anything this means just sitting in the garage

I would get both the cap and rotor button, just to make sure there is no problem there. Make sure to unplug the icm and turn the engine over a few times to dry out the cylinders and check for gas in the oil.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you think an MSD cap and rotor is better than

As long as nothing has been chewing on the wires, they should be good.

There is no reason to spend that kind of money on a cap and rotor button. A good ac delco cap and rotor button will be just fine.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I'll do that I'll talk to you tomorrow sometime

It is 1;30 am here, and I will be back online around 11 am. If you need me I will be happy to help you when I get back online. Do you have a digital volt meter and a test light in case we need to do some testing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a multimeter and a test light and if not we'll make one
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You are an hour ahead of me it is 12:42 here

Chat with you tomorrow then.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just got done doing this compression test on a dry compression and wet compression number one is 90 number to is 125 number 3 is 120 number for is 120 number 5 is 100 number 675 number 7 is 120 and number 8 is 55 and that is consistent even with the wet test

I hate to say it but it looks like it has jumped time. Can you pull the cap off and bring cylinder 1 up on a compression stroke and see where the rotor button is pointing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is pointing at the number 8 on the distributor and toward the number one plug

If you have the distributor cap off, the rotor button should be at about 7 oclock if cylinder one is at top dead center. That i if you are looking from the front of the truck back to the distributor.

I am sorry, it should be at about 5 oclock.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is at about 5 o'clock

Can you grab the rotor button and turn it by hand?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No

The comp test is way out of wack and the engine cannot run with such low and different numbers. If the timing is not off, then the lobes of the cam are worn, the rocker arms have come loose, the lifters have colapsed, or the valves are burnt.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what do we do now
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does that mean I need a new engine or just a new cam and new valves how does this happen

The first thing I would do would be to pull the valve covers off and see if any of the rockers are loose. If they are all good, I would measure the amount of lift each rocker gets as the engine is turned over. See if they are all about the same.

I can not say that you need a new engine but the heads will need to come off more then likely and a valve job done on them.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How about the cam

Before you take to much apart you should take the valve covers off and measure the lift of each of the lifters and see if they are all about the same. If the rocker does not move much then the lobe on the cam is worn. Also check to see if the rockers are loose. You can have bent push rods.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I took the valve covers off and on the right side of the motor I found two little bitty looks like a ring of metal shaving inside the head there sitting down in there but that was the valves are I don't know what that is but hey we're going to commit to doing turning the engine over to see if he would burn to burn evenly
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All the rocker arms look like they're pumping evenly the fourth one back on both sides of the motor is it don't look like it's pumping any oil out
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how much oil is supposed to be coming out of these things

If they are set right and the engine is running, they can shoot oil about 6 feet. But you are not suppose to check it with the engine running or the starter turning the engine. You have to turn the crank by hand with a socket and ratchet.

Can you send me a pic of the particles you found?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All the lifters and rocker arms look like they are running about even or the same
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They are all going up and down
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did notice that the fourth rocker arm back on both sides of the motor doesn't pump oil

So cylinder 3 and 4 have a lifter not pumping oil up to the rockers correct?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that is correct
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I drain the oil after this had happened when the truck broke down I didn't see or feel any metal fragments in the oil
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Did you get that picture that I had sent
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I even took off the oil pan when I changed the timing chain and didn't see no metal fragments in there at all either

no I did not get any pics other than the one spark plug.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let's try this picture thing again here it is

Where did you find this at?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I took the valve cover off it was laying at the bottom inside the head there were two pieces like this
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
About was the number 3 is

Can you turn the engine by hand so that the 4th rocker on both sides is all the way down on the push rod side and see if the rocker is loose please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can turn turn them they're not real tight but I can't go up and down

Are the others that loose?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I believe they're all about the same

I hate to say it but it sounds like you have some burnt valves. The heads will need to come off and be checked.