Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I HAVE A 1996 BLAZER IT IS SPUTTERING AND MISFIREING WE HAVE

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1996 BLAZER IT IS SPUTTERING AND MISFIREING WE HAVE REPLACE PLUG, FUEL FILTER, CARBIATOR CAP AIR IN TAKE. TRUCK STILL NOT WORKING PROPERLY WHAQT COUL DBEWRONG?
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: EXTERNAL
JA: Are you fixing your Blazer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES EVERY THING
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO I NEED HELP PLEASE
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this fault here or have fault codes been checked at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no check engine light can you please call my husband at(###) ###-####
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately I am unable to place a call on this here myself but if you like we can continue here now or when your husband has time here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no it cost more money
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

We can continue here if you like no phone call is needed if this is what you are speaking of.We can continue here as much as needed.Let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if you can not answer my questions then why did I provide my ccard??
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

One of the more common causes for this fault here is one or more injectors not atomizing properly in the intake.I have seen these act up before needing replaced or in some cases cleaned.I have had to clean the injectors on this model several times before for this fault here as well as replace any that would not clean up on this engine.

The other issue I have seen is the EGR valve can stick open and cause misfiring and rough running.

If you have not had the fault codes checked to see if any codes are set in any of the computers this needs done.If there are any codes set this will help in diagnosing and locating the fault here.

Fuel injectors are common as well as a stuck open egr needing replaced.But fault codes do need checked and further testing.IN some cases adding a bottle of injector cleaner to the fuel tank and running to near empty and repeat will help clean up the injectors.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete