david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I have a 2007 chey trailblazer. over the last couple months

Customer Question

i have a 2007 chey trailblazer. over the last couple months when I turn the truck on it will fire up then just chutdown. The check engine light and the engine with the down arrow light come on. The radio stays on and the lights stay on but the power is dead. After waiting a minute or so I turn it on and it will fire up again. Sometimes I have to repeat this process for 10 minutes or so. on there different occasions now this has happened when im drving. The engine with the down arrow light pops on and the truck shuts down. Very very dangerous! Again after several attempts it usually fires back up. Please help as I have 2 young kids who I am worried about safely putting in my vehicle
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on. THe engine light with the down arrow doesn't stay on after I turn the car back on. That disappears. The regular check engine light stays on but will often be out after parking the car and waiting several hrs.
JA: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I had a mechanic look at it. He cleaned the sludge from the throttle I think but that didn't seem to fix the problem. When he put his scan tool on it I believe it gave him a P0601 code or computer type code
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am not sure if this just a random thing but it seems to be worse as the temps go down. Again that may be a random deal as the problem has worsened in general of the last few weeks
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The getting it started is a major inconvenience but I can deal with that. The shitting down while driving is my big big concern
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David .....and unfortunately this P0601 is pointing to an internal fault in the PCM. The only repair for this code is to replace the PCM. If the PCM was able to be re-programmed, you would also have the P0602 set as well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would the pcm cause the issues I am describing? Can these be purchased already programmed?

yes the pcm would cause everything thats going on. you cannot buy an already programmed pcm as it has to be programmed to your vin.

checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did not get a chance to get the pcm yet so it's still acting up. It seems like once it gets hot it stays ok. But it takes me a good 10 minutes to get it started and 2 shutdowns while driving which is the scarey thinh
Im very sorry but I'm on vacation and the sites mobile app will not allow me to see anything except you are waiting on a reply. Please request another expert so you wont need to wait until i get home. Thank you