GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2004 2500 HD duramax that had power steering

Customer Question

I have a 2004 2500 HD duramax that had power steering problems after flushing system. At low rpm's didnt have any power steering and brakes were hard.we replaced pump and still no help so mechanic said to change hydroboost so we did that and still didnt help. did some more troubleshooting and mechanic said we needed to change out gearbox so replaced that.After all that done we thought we had it fixed but after driving a few miles started having problems with power steering at low rpm's.
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: it wines on and off but not all the time and fluid is full
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: both me and my mechanic have been working on it and have replaced just about everything .we have bled the system several times and it helps for a little bit then starts acting up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it seems like when oil is cool everything works well but as oil warms up it gradually gets worse
Category: Chevy
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 2 months ago.

have you had the rack an pinion checked its possible that air could be getting in to the system through the rack an pinion im assuming that you have no leaks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have checked for leaks and have not found any,as far as rack and pinion we have replaced the whole gearbox with a rebuilt one