GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 with the max tow package 6.2

Customer Question

I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 with the max tow package 6.2 motor. When towing my cigarette lighter voltmeter reads 12.6, tow haul switch on. In the morning battery will be around 12.3 volts. Is this really ok
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

The voltage reading at the cigarette lighter isn't always indicative of what the engine is putting out on these newer vehicles. The voltage from the lighter is highly regulated by the PCM to avoid cooking your Iphone or any other accessory that might get plugged in there.

At the same time, it's perfectly normal for the alternator to only put out 12-13 volts while running if the battery has a full charge. It's a fuel efficiency thing- if the alternator isn't working full blast to put out 14.9 volts all the time then there is less load on the engine. Less load means better gas mileage.