GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 plus years. experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified.

2004 chevy malibu... Replaced front light assemblies due to

Customer Question

2004 chevy malibu... Replaced front light assemblies due to foggy glass and now part of the time the blinkers won't work. See on line people saying have similar problem, but not saying how definitely fix it
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Front light entire assembly was replaced. Now the turn signals don't always work. Tried a second new full light assembly and did same thing
JA: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My 26 year old son did it himself. He searched on line and I was curious and looking too in case I could find someone who knew how to fix it for sure
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Wait. I did not try to hook up with you... popped up. What does it cost for this service?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Chevy Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: What does "the rest" mean...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** you still need some assistance with this? If so what do the lights do when they do not want to work. Do they come off and on or do they just stop working all together for a time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only problem after replacing the entire light assembly is that the turn blinkers often do not work. Replaced the entire light assembly again assuming it was bad assembly and the 2nd brand new assembly turn blinker also did not work.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. If they were working fine prior to this and if they were replaced with the OE type of lights and not an LED light then it is more than likely the connections. It is common for the terminals in the connectors to become loose. You have to move the connection around when the lights are on to see if they become intermittent. I have seen the body control module cause this also, but that would be a coincidence after the lights were replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They were OE lights and my 26 year old son already looked at and manipulated all the connections multiple times. Are you saying the main "body control module" cause this??? Do you have to replace it to know or is there a way to check that. Any other suggestions? I believe he also already tried putting the "special" connection grease on each connection.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
For his car, where is the body control module? Is it readily accessible? If so, any way to inspect it to see if that is the problem?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 month ago.

It is located behind the left side of the dash near the hvac blower. You would need to check for power coming from it when the lights are not working. I would test the power at the lights first when they do not work to see if they are not getting power. Do the rear blinkers stop working also?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you look back at my original questions I didn't intend to pay tonight for help, but decided to give it a try when it popped up in case you knew based on the symptoms exactly what the problem is. I just confirmed with my son that everything mentioned so far he had already seen when searching on line on multiple sites. I'm not upset I paid the $5 to try this out, but I'm sorry that I'm not 100% satisfied as this didn't help us solve our problem. I hope this doesn't mess up your "ratings". Thanks for trying to help.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 month ago.

There is no quick fix for this and I can walk you through steps with a voltage meter. If this is not what you were looking for then I am sorry. I will opt out.

Expert:  GM Bob replied 30 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** you still need help?

If so which side is not working? Both front and rear not working?

Do you have a test light or voltage meter?

Please let me know.

Thank you

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Only the front right blinker does not work. I believe I have a volt meter, but the car will not be home here until this evening.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 29 days ago.

Did it do this with the old assembly?

Do you still have the old part?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
It did not have the right front blinker problem with the original light assembly, but did for the brand new one (as well as 2nd front right light assemblies as originally assumed a bad news part). Sorry that I can normally only work at night on the car. I'll check for your idea on how to fix tonight.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 29 days ago.

That ok on getting back with me when you can.

If you still have the original part can you plug it in to see if the works?

If it works ok you may have to swap the original wire harness with the new assembly.

They may have wired them wrong.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Would that be the case even though the blinker sometimes work?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I do believe he has the original light assembly, but not sure. Can confirm tonight
Expert:  GM Bob replied 29 days ago.

Maybe not wire wrong. More like faulty wiring or bulb socket.

Expert:  GM Bob replied 25 days ago.

Have you had any luck?

Do you still need help?