BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

WHEN I DRIVE AND THE BOOST GAUGE IS AT ZERO, WILL GO BACK

Customer Question

WHEN I DRIVE AND THE BOOST GAUGE IS AT ZERO, WILL GO BACK AND FORTH TO 5 LB BOOST, SURGING ISN'T THIS A SENSOR PROBPLEM OR WHAT ???
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the check engine light is coming on also? Does the vehicle start losing power when this occurs?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the check engine lite came on for one day and them went off but this was several weeks before. no i would be driving at a low speed on city street and the boost gauge would be at the level where there was no boost but about to go into boost. then the boost gauge would rise and fall with surge, so i would take my foot off gas and it would calm down, but i would have to give it gas to keep my low speed 35 mph up on city street. Reading from when engine lite came on was to much boost. however i never punch it and have never burned out so????? It dose have turbo upgrade kit from dealer
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. Do you happen to have the code number?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
dont know, all i have is OBDII - DIAGNOSIS (A) FROM LOCAL MECH
THEY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DUE, SO NO CHARGE, SAID TAKE IT TO DEALER, SORT OF AFRAID OF DEALER WOULD LIKE A BETTER KNOWLEDGE OF WHATS GOING ON FIRST
BUT SURGE STATED SEVERAL WEEKS LATER AFTER LIGHT WENT AWAY
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. Most of the time this is caused by either a failing MAP sensor or boost pressure sensor. These are common failures. A dirty air filter will also cause this. These sensors can be checked with a scan tool that can read there signal data. If the sensors are fine then this is the first sign that the turbo is failing.