GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I am having trouble getting my truck running correctly. I

Customer Question

I am having trouble getting my truck running correctly. I replaced the motor that was in my truck because it had a very bad knock. I unplugged the timing advance wire like you are supposed to do and set the timing to zero and it runs fine like that. If you give throttle it up a little it will stutter. When I plug the wire in it starts rough and will die as soon as you give it any gas. The timing does advance like it is supposed to when you plug that back in. The plugs, wires, and whole distributor are new.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 26 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

On the 1998 Chevy Truck K 1500 Truck 4WD V8-5.7L,

The distributor ignition system has no provision for timing adjustment. The base timing is preset when the engine is manufactured and no adjustment is possible.

The distributor may need adjusting to prevent crossfire. It needs the Camshaft Retard Offset Adjustment, which is done with a scan tool.