Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

DRLs are not working. The DRL indicator light on the SIC

Customer Question

DRLs are not working. The DRL indicator light on the SIC lights up, but the exterior lights do not light up. Sometimes the indicator light doesn't light up when it should be lit up. I do know that it shouldn't be lit up when the parking brake is on and when the low or high beam headlights are on.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: It is my understanding that the DRLs are actually the lowbeam headlamps, and they work when I have the headlights turned on. Also, if there is a fuse for just the DRL, I can't seem to find it listed in the fuse chart.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2004 Chevrolet Aveo
JA: Are you fixing your Aveo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. At this point I haven't tried anything except to see if the headlamps are operational on low beam, because they are also the DRL.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing I can think of. I just picked up this vehicle used. I do know that there was/is a recall on the DRL module. I don't know if this particular car ever went in for that recall.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A wiring diagram isn't going to answer my question as to what the issue is. What can be causing the problem?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

The most common problem is the DRL module, replacing it should correct your problem. It is located behind the dash on the passengers side near the center console.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for that information. How do I know if this particular vehicle ever had the recall done on it concerning the DRL module?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Call the dealer they will tell you if the recall has been done by the vin number. I do not have access to that information.