Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

97 chevy cavalier ignition lock cylinder wont turn to run

Customer Question

97 chevy cavalier ignition lock cylinder wont turn to run postion stuck in off position
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Cant turn the steering wheel just by unlocking the retailer that holes it. I have two keys. Onee is worn and the other is duplicate still nothing.
JA: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Myself. Going by the hayes maintance book and online.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I took apart the steering column and remove the ignition switch under the turn signal. But the cylinder lock wont turn to run position. Stuck.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

if the ignition lock cylinder will not turn even after the ignition swtich was removed then internally in the ignition lock cylinder there are tumblers that have failed which will then not allow the ignition lock to turn

to correct this problem i am sorry to say the ignition lock cylinder would need to be changed

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer