GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Ihave a 2007 suburban we just bought used there is a message

Customer Question

hello ihave a 2007 suburban we just bought used there is a message on the dash saying service brakes soon but no other warning lights and I cant figure out the problem or clear it
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: all lights come one when u crank it and turn off I have not checked the fuses
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my father has been a mechanic for 40 years and use to be a gmc mechanic as well he cant figure it out , he said he scanned it and got no codes , he dosent know what it indicates or what its telling him to do,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David thanks for visiting the site. You will need to have it scanned for codes in the brake module in order to know what the actual problem is. The problem with this is that generic scan tools will not read these codes. This means that you would have to take it somewhere that has a scanner capable of reading the brake module, typically a dealer. There is a GM service bulletin that addresses this message being on, but only if a specific code (C0229) is set. If you need more info, please ask.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can you tell me what the cause of the light might be from your experience and knowledge
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can you tell me from your experience what th messege could indicate
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do I find the brake module

it can indicate alot of things, brake pads, low brake fluid, brake shoes, bad proportioning valve, bad ebcm,.... the scan tool will be able to interogate the brake module through its interface with the pcm.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you I have a abs brake module scanner so i will run that and see what it says

ok. good. please keep me posted.

any update?

Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.