Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Surging at steady speed of 35 to 40 put new throttle body

Customer Question

surging at steady speed of 35 to 40 put new throttle body and valve body
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?
Customer: 74000 miles no leaks
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2007 chevy cobalt
JA: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: throttle body and valve body
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Has the computer system been scanned to see if there are any fault codes setting?

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Can you answer the last question I posted, Has the computer system been scanned to see if there are any fault codes setting?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No codes
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay there is one known issue with a surge your describing with the 2007 Cobalt and GM has released a service bulletin dealing with it that calls for reprogramming the TCM ( transmission control Module) . I have enclosed it in the link below as I suspect it may apply to the problem you are having. Have a look and post back if you have more questions and or need more help.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Surge%20Sept%2021.pdf

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Has that done at Chevy dealer no difference
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

In most case if the problem is a computer control issue there would be a fault code and or codes setting, are you sure there are no fault codes setting?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hey ron dealer already did update
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay with out any fault codes to go by I have no further information. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else has something else to offer.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have a scan tool with DATA?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have put new valve body and throttle body and tcm update
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

OK. If you lightly hold the brake pedal when the surge starts does it get better?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will try that
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

OK. let me know results

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.