Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years

Converted a 1998 6.5 td to run the mechanical 1993 6.5

Customer Question

converted a 1998 6.5 td to run the mechanical 1993 6.5 injection pump. Got rid if the computers now I need to figure out how to get it to start
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: New dual agm group 31 batteries and no the headlights don't turn on.
JA: What is the model of your '98 Chevy?
Customer: 2500 cheyanne
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: had outsourced other mechanics to bypass the computer and remove the 1998 electronic injection pump and install the 1993 mechanical injection pump. The 4l80 transmission has been modified to shift manually without the aid of any computer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.

If the lift pump is keeping the fuel filter housing full and the engine starts and runs momentarily on starting fluid, then the most probable cause of the no-start is the shutdown solenoid not being energized - no fuel is getting to the injectors. Do you need help with checking that solenoid?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What I'm looking for is to figure out how to start the engine. Everything is hooked up and now I need to know how to get the engine to start without the deinstalled on board computer. Is there a wiring diagram you can send me that will show me how to bypass the computer and manually direct wire the starter to the ignition key??? Please advise.Thanks,John
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

It seems we are not communicating effectively. The fuel shutdown solenoid is not computer-controlled. Let's set aside the computer for a moment; does the engine start on starting fluid? Is the fuel filter housing full of diesel?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The keyed ignition system is not engaging the starter to start the engine. I need to get the engine to turn over and run before any further diagnostic are needed, if any.

I guess I misunderstood. It looks like the anti-theft system is preventing starter engagement and, unfortunately, I don't have any information on bypassing that system. I'll opt out and let other experts chime in. Please don't rate or reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this back to me.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do I engage another expert on this subject? Do I just wait for another expert to chime in that may have the answer or??? Please advise.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Does you key have a chip in the blade? Single side or double side key? Do you have a test light?

Expert:  Roy replied 1 month ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

do you still need help

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
OK Sam, here we go. I have outsourced all the work for the conversion on this truck. I'm more of a parts man with limited mechanical background. I'll needs answers that I can pass on to the mechanic I hire to complete the job and get the truck running. I'll go over this again in an effort to make it clear what I'm trying to achieve. The truck will not start when turning the ignition key. The key is not coded with a chip so the anti theft idea goes off the list. This 1998 2500 series 6.5 diesel has had the injection pump changed out to a 1993 mechanical injection pump. The factory computer no longer exists. The 4L80E transmission has been rebuilt and set up for manual shift, very similar to a racing transmission. The transmission no longer requires the original computer to function properly. The transmission builder has 40 years experience and managed to figure out how to make the transmission lock up converter function properly. My thoughts are that the wiring to the starter needs to be rerouted through the ignition switch to get this truck to start, or a manual toggle switch installed in addition. Your thoughts???
Expert:  Roy replied 29 days ago.

let me get a wiring diagram for the 93 diesel

Expert:  Roy replied 29 days ago.

ok, wire diagram attached

off the ignition switch is a yellow wire that should be hot in start only. that goes to the neutral safety switch and then turns to purple to the starter solenoid. from the looks of the diagram, the switch is at the bottom of the column. if it is, all he has to do is to be sure that the yellow wire feeds the purple wire to power up the starter. no computer involved here. there are branches off the purple wire, just have him eliminate them and wire direct.