Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

2011 Equinox.. engine wont rev past 2000 or thereabouts..

Customer Question

2011 Equinox.. engine wont rev past 2000 or thereabouts.. thought it may be gearbox but when driving it because engine wont rev, it wont change gear.. No engine error codes though.. car has done high mileage but just suddenly started doing this. Suspect sensor maybe?.. maybe its a blocked cat?..
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Hmmm.. brake switch.. no but interesting... transmission is 205,000 miles...
JA: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes.. haven't had a good look yet though so havent tried much. It has had engine check light for a long time - cat converter so I just ignored it, and reset code and it hasnt come back on yet - but problem still exists
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure what he would want?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

. *** A BAD RATING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY DEPOSIT YOU MADE *****

You will want to check the fuel pressure to see if it is too low. Also that the filter is not restricting the flow of fuel.

..

Then if the fuel pressure and flow are good, the exhaust may be a little bit restricted. You can have a back pressure test done on it at most exhaust shops to see if the cat is clogged.

.

.

If they are both ok, then you will want to take a sample of the fuel to be sure that it’s not contaminated.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll have to check fuel pressure.. Im guessing then there is no engine check to advise of low fuel pressure ?

Not always.