GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Service stabilitrak and service steering, messages. Also,

Customer Question

service stabilitrak and service steering, messages. Also, check engine light displayed. Chevy Equinox 2011 would not start, steering wheel hard to turn. Electronics seemed to work, however, remote start would not work. Next day car started, but not right away. The stabilitrak light is the only one displaying now, however, it seems that car is surging at times. No steering problems right now.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Its a message on the stabilitrak and then goes off --- I think?
JA: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just drove it to see what was happening. Have not taken it in yet. Started to take it to a auto parts store to have battery and alternator checked.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have received a letter about the steering system. But this letter says the steering wheel sticks after driving long distances on a straight highway. Not sure that this is the problem, since I just started it up. Also recently had new tires put on and brakes worked on. Also, I've never been to this site before. Am I posting this or talking with someone one on one. And is there a charge?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Canuck Tech replied 5 months ago.

Hi there - you are now chatting with Canuck Tech. Yes, this is a fee for service site. I am a licensed automotive technician, and I may have some answers for you.

You have multiple issues with the vehicle, which may or may not be related.

I think the best place to start is by having the engine computer scanned. Many parts stores will do this free of charge in the hope you will buy some parts from them. The no start is of interest to me. Did the engine crank over when you turned the key? Or was there absolutely nothing? I have seen a situation where a faulty EGR valve will set a check engine light, and will disable the stabiltrak. Sounds weird, but it is true. Also, have you had the battery and charging system checked yet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did the engine crank over when you turned the key? Or was there absolutely nothing?) I think just a click the first day. Second day it did turn over but it was struggling some. The next few times it started quicker, but not like it should.(Also, have you had the battery and charging system checked yet?) No, not yet. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also had a throttle body cleaning service in late June this year.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will take for the engine to be computer scanned. Thanks

I think trouble codes would be the first step if I were working on your car. Let me know what comes out of the powertrain control module. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** Have a nice rest of the day.

Will do. You as well.

Hello. it's Canuck. Any news on the Equinox?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry for the delay. Battery tested bad, no other codes showing. No more messages scrolling about the stabiltrak or steering. Replaced battery, It seems to be running smoothly. Hopefully, this is all it is. Thanks.