Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs
7276279

Headlights flashing while driving - immediaterly if warm or

Customer Question

headlights flashing while driving - immediaterly if warm or hot, takes a while if cold
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: yes & yes, also replaced fried dash switch and dimmer switch
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 93 Chevy Astro
JA: Are you fixing your Astro yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just replacing the dash switch and dimmer switch so far
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
headlights also flash when idle, as soon as car is started if outside temp has been over 80 that day and vehicle still relatively warm
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If cold outside, takes 15-20 minutes of driving to start flashing, a little longer if near freezing
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. The headlamp switch has a built in circuit breaker and if the headlamp system has excessive amp draw it will cause the circuit breaker in the headlight switch to cycle on and off. When you replaced the burnt switch did you have a look at the connector to see if it was also burnt. If not have a look at the connector and if there are signs of it having overheated and melted then you need to also replace it. If its been over heated it will cause a loose connection which can cause an excessive amp draw.