Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems
45790705

Need to replace an alternator on 1999 chevy express 1500

Customer Question

need to replace an alternator on 1999 chevy express 1500 with 5.7 engine
JA: Have you done a battery test? Has there been any change in headlight brightness?
Customer: no to battery test headlight brightness do not know
JA: Are you fixing your Express 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well first I noticed that the volts were going down next put multimeter on no volts
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it also has ac
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

1999 Chevy Truck Express 1 Ton Van V8-5.7L VIN R

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable. 2. Remove the coolant reservoir. 3. Remove the air cleaner. 4. Remove the upper fan shroud. 5. Remove the drive belt from the generator. 6. Remove the heater hose pipe from the generator. 7. Remove the oil fill tubes from the support bracket. 8. Remove the support bracket from the generator bracket. 9. Remove the generator mounting bolts. 10. Remove the generator fro 11. Disconnect the electrical connectors.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

1. Connect the electrical connectors to the generator. Tighten Tighten the generator output (BAT) terminal nut to 18 N.m (13 lb ft).

2. Install the generator to the engine. 3. Install the generator mounting bolts. Tighten - Tighten the generator front mounting bolts to 50 N.m (37 lb ft). - Tighten the generator rear mounting bolt to 25 N.m (18 lb ft).

4. Install the oil till tube support the generator bracket.

5. Install the oil fill tube to the support bracket. 6. Install the heater hose pipe to the generator. 7. Install the drive belt to the generator. 8. Install the upper tan shroud. 9. Install the air cleaner. 10. Install the coolant reservoir. 11. Connect the battery negative cable

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

I have sent you 4 diagrams to help with Remove & Replace Procedure of the alternator

Thank You

Chad Farhat

ASE Certified Techniciam

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how many bolts hold the altenator in and where are they

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/jhook1398/0c15ecf1-2073-434d-9a67-c3d37141264a_EXPRESS+3.gif

2 bolts on bottom , click on the blue link , that is the picture of the alternator and the bolts

1 on top

i have sent you 4 diagrams on the alternator, please let me know if you did not receive them so i sent them again

Thanks

Chad

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there is a black plate fasten to the rear of the altenator does that come off with altenator it is really hard to see in there
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the pic you show does not look like my altenator mine has a fan with a large disc on the front

ok i see , i don't know why it is not matching, i see one more model listed that could be yours with fan ,, but it dont have any info or diagrams on it

I will open up your question for another expert , I m sure they will have the info you need on it

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks *****
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Chad I do not know how to rate you. We did not get the job done but in one of the pics I discovered two more bolts. They where on the strap that goes over the altenator one holds an ac line the other holds the strap to the block