GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

My 98 chevy venture van radio says loc. How do i fix this?

Customer Question

my 98 chevy venture van radio says loc. How do i fix this?
JA: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?
Customer: factory
JA: Are you fixing your Venture yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i'm doing it myself. my battery cable slipped off and when i reconnected it said LOC
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it. just need the radio back. we have 5 kids. so please please please help
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****.
I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Can you give me your VIN# ***** I can see if there are any Service Bulletins?

THEFTLOCK™ is designed in order to discourage theft of the radio system. THEFTLOCK™ works by utilizing a secret code in order to disable all radio functions whenever the battery power is removed. This audio system is equipped with THEFTLOCK™ if THEFTLOCK™ is displayed on the front of the radio.

The THEFTLOCK™ feature for the radio may be used or ignored. The system plays normally and the radio is not protected by the feature, if the feature is ignored. If THEFTLOCK™ is activated, the radio will not operate if the vehicle is stolen.

When THEFTLOCK is activated, the radio will display LOC to indicate a locked condition anytime battery power has been interrupted. If the battery loses power for any reason, you must unlock the radio with the secret code before the radio will operate.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Maybe you misunderstood what I was asking. My question was how to fix this issue not to give me an explanation of the issue. Your answer was of no help to me at all, but thank you anyways. I figured it out eventually. So you have a nice day doing what ever it is this site is suppose to do.

I was giving you an explanation of how the system worked and needed your VIN# ***** verify which radio your car has and then I was going to tell you how to get the code that I needed from the radio to retrieve the factory unlock code.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****