AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 Chevy Lumina Heater/AC Blower motor functions only on

Customer Question

2001 Chevy Lumina Heater/AC Blower motor functions only on settings 1-3 but not on 4. Air blows out of dash vents or defrost but not out of floor vents.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: No but the system blows cold air.
JA: Are you fixing your Lumina yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was having an overheating problem in the hot weather. The car has a new radiator, new cooling fan motors and a new thermostat. I am thinking the blower motor resistor needs to be replaced. Not sure what to do about the problem with no air coming out of the floor vents.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Has anything been replaced for this already?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I haven't replaced anything in the actual Heater/AC system yet. I am not sure where to start.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Got it! I suspect this could be two things. Either a bad selector switch or a bad blower resistor. If anything, I would suspect a bad switch. However, I would recommend to check the switch first to ensure it is bad before replacing anything. The orange wire coming out of the switch should have battery voltage on it with the switch on the "HIGH" setting. If not, the switch is bad and will need to be replaced. Here is a wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have any idea why I can get heat or AC out of the dash vents but not the floor vents. My feet get pretty cold in the winter.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

This could be a bad mode door or mode door actuator not fully engaging all of the way.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where is that located? Are they electric or vacuum?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

If you have manual air, they will be vacuum operated. They are called mode valves. Here is a pic.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have the manual air. Thanks for the help. I'll try to sort this our tomorrow.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Your welcome!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.