Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs
7276279

1993 Olds Cutlass Ciera I have 70 psi on the low pressure

Customer Question

1993 Olds Cutlass Ciera
I have 70 psi on the low pressure side and i have lukewarm coolish air coming out the vents. Thoughts?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Can you tell me what your pressure readings are on the high side as well?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i dont have high side readings for some reason whoever converted this machine did not change the high side fitting from R12
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay it is pretty important that we have them , normal pressure on a full system with the AC running should be right at 35 to 40 PSI on the low side and right at 200 to 210 PSI on the high side. As it stands ring now your low side pressure is to high which would indicate that you are either over charged or there are other issues and that where we would need the high side reading to determine the cause. If you can get theses reading We can work from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what are the possible high low side causes?I have to evacuate the system to change that high side. Thats not happening right now.
Tell me this as well, where is the orifice tube on this particular model?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

If the high side is reading high @70 PSI your either over charged or the compressor is failing but there is no way to know this for sure with out knowing the high side readings. The orifice tube is is the liquid line. See the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Orifice%20Sept%2015.pdf

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
could it be a plugged orifice tube? or even if its plugged the only way its plugged is with debris from the compressor?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

In most cases if the orifice is plugged the low side pressure will go into a vacuum due to the lack of flow. That being said if the compressor is damaged the orifice should need to be replaced at the same time along with the accumulator and a complete systems flush.