Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Change coil and module no fire to wire why is their no fire

Customer Question

change coil and module no fire to wire why is their no fire coming through wire
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you have a multi meter to test electrical with at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you their
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Was this the electronic spark control module that was replaced?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Was the ignition module replaced inside the distributor at all?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
replace everything inside
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Was the square controller (esc controller) replaced under the dash as shown below?I just want to clarify for sure which components were replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eibbw7l4spkv6gm/esc-09-14.gif?dl=0

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No that one is New to me explain
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

O.k.,that module is called the electronic spark control module or ESC module.It is used in line for spark for the coil and distributor operation.It can commonly fail and cause this issue here.It is shown as the square component below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yb0xn5v8y71g0o/escc-09-14.gif?dl=0

I will also post the full diagnostic procedure for spark issues like you see here.If replacing this module does not resolve the spark issue then the diagnosis posted below will need to be followed to pinpoint the cause for repair on this.

1984-86 MODELS

Engine Cranks But Will Not Start

1. Check for spark at at the ends of at least 2 spark plug wires using tester ST-125 or equivalent. If spark is observed, malfunction is not in ignition system.
2. If no spark is observed, disconnect 4 pin connector to distributor, connect jumper wire between pins A and C on distributor side of connector, Figs. 5, 6 and 7, and attempt to start engine. If engine starts, proceed to step 3. If engine does not start, proceed as follows:
a. Remove jumper wire and reconnect 4 pin connector to distributor. Turn on ignition and measure voltage at pins F and K of controller 10 pin connector. If voltage is less than 11.6 volts, check feed circuit and repair as needed.
b. Set voltmeter on 2 volt scale and measure voltage between pins J and K of 10 pin connector while cranking engine. If reading is .75 volts or greater, ESC system is satisfactory.
c. Set voltmeter on 2 volt scale and measure voltage between pins G and H of 10 pin connector while cranking engine. If reading is .20 volt or greater, controller is defective. If reading is less than .20 volt, pole piece is defective.
3. Stop engine and remove jumper wire from distributor.
4. Connect suitable high resistance test lamp between distributor TACH terminal and ground, then turn on ignition. If test lamp lights, proceed to step 6.
5. If lamp does not light at TACH terminal, connect lamp between BAT terminal and ground and turn on ignition. If lamp does not light, repair feed circuit to ignition.
6. Crank engine with test lamp connected between distributor TACH terminal and ground. If test lamp flickers, system is satisfactory.
7. If test lamp does not flicker as engine is cranked, connect lamp between BAT terminal and pin A on distributor side of 4 pin ESC connector, then tap on coil. If coil makes a clicking noise when tapped, pole piece is defective.
8. If coil does not click, remove distributor cap an disconnect and reconnect pole piece electrical connector. If coil still does not click when tapped, ignition module is defective.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete