GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2009 traverse. Bought it from a dealership and got

Customer Question

i have a 2009 traverse. Bought it from a dealership and got my first oil change elsewhere. they told me the rack leaks, so i took it to the dealership. after a great deal of arguing, we decided i would pay for the rack and he would install it
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: a week after getting it back, the steering locks up and when i tug on it back and forth it finally pops and i have power steering
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: then we took it to a chevy dealership and they replaced the pump had it a week again and same issue appeared
JA: Are you fixing your Traverse yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i lifted it in the air and removed the wire to the vef steering sol. and had no power steering at all
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: now i removed the sol. and idk if it's bad or not idk how much volts to put on it to test it or if thats even the problem
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Kavey replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

How many miles are on this and has the steering gear valve housing been replaced?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is that part of the rack?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
150k miles
Expert:  Kavey replied 2 months ago.

Yeah it is part of the rack. Sorry.. I should have caught that. I guess it has been replaced.

Are you using OEM parts?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
reman from rockauto
Expert:  Kavey replied 2 months ago.

And it worked fine for a week after installing the rack then started having the issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
then a chevy dealership did a bunch of tsb's and recalls. after that we drove perfect for a week and bam same thing
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
took it back and they say it's a bad rack
Expert:  Kavey replied 2 months ago.

Did the dealer try recalibrating the steering angle sensor? I would assume so. If a chevy dealer is saying its the rack it probably is.. they have the tools and knowledge to accurately diagnose this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They didn't do any diagnostics, they were just covering so they wouldn't have to fix it
Expert:  Kavey replied 2 months ago.

OK. In that case I would say you need to start with recalibrating the steering angle sensor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What I want to do at this point, is disable the ves without losing power steering
Expert:  Kavey replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately that is not an option.