Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

It won't start, Yes, 2009, Battery moved staring wheal, No

Customer Question

It won't start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2009
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Battery moved staring wheal
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the starter engaging to crank over the engine but the engine is not starting or is the starter not engaging with this issue here?

Has anything been checked,tested or replaced to try and locate or repair this fault here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I drove it all day several stops cranked good this morning went out and nothing
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

When you say nothing is it not cranking?

Does anything power up at all and work electronically like lights,horn,radio etc.?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All lights r on and everything good just won't crank
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Is the security/theft light flashing on the dash or staying on steady after you try and crank it and release the key when it will not crank over (not turning the key back any)?It may look like a picture of a car with a lock across it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,this is a security issue that is keeping your vehicle from starting.In some cases you can relearn the key manually to correct this here and in others this can be a failed security component at fault needing replaced.If you can post the model of your vehicle here I can see if I can find a manual relearn to see if we can correct this here just let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2009 Silverado hybird
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Below is the manual relearn.If this does not work this indicates one of the security components has failed like the pass key sensor,the key itself or the body ecu/TDM (theft deterrent module) that controls the theft system.If the relearn does not work then a fully compatible scan tool will need to be plugged into your vehicle to read out the fault codes set as this will help in diagnosing and locating this issue here.Make sure your battery is charged before doing this relearn.

30-Minute Vehicle Key Relearn
1. With your key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Observe the security indicator, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The TDM learns the key transponder information upon the ignition switch transition from OFF to ON. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. With your key, start the vehicle.If this worked the engine will start and run.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete