Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I also would like to ID a replacement chevy 4.3. My numbers

Customer Question

I also would like to ID a replacement chevy 4.3. My numbers are as follows, rear of block right side one four zero nine nine zero nine zero. m. Also ,G M. 4.3 L G. Rear left side is cash C zero one nine.
Front side same side as rear cast number is ***** zero three zero five U C A. Head cast numbers are one two five five six four zero, Oslo B two four nine.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is this a response to my question? I already have seen this
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It in no way answers my questions!!!!!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I want to know what the M following the engine cast # means (is it a marine block) and with the ID #'s on the front what year is it .
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Ok, first of all, what do you mean by ID an engine? Don't you already know it's a 4.3l? What else do you want to know about it?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Now you never said in your opening post you wanted to know what the M meant.

Also, why are you spelling out all the numbers?

What does, "cash" mean? What does "oslo" mean?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mike thanks for your reply. Was on a web site that kicked me to this site. I did have on that site another paragraph which spelled out what I was doing and what I wanted to know.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

T0305UCA can tell you the T means it was made in Towawonga. the 03 means it was made in March, the 05 means the 5th day and the CAI is the suffix code that I will look up now.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As far as phone I agree, but is it 28 dollars on top of the 38 dollars????
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess its 26$
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

What phone? What are you talking about?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

You said, "Was on a web site that kicked me to this site. I did have on that site another paragraph which spelled out what I was doing and what I wanted to know. "

I have no idea what that said, why didn't you just repeat what you are asking here?

what more do you want to know about this engine?

I don't know what the M means.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mike if what I first sent as a side bar would have been forwarded to you you would have seen i was asking for the meaning of the M in cast # and what actual year the engine *is. I also asked how does GM change HP with the same engine bore and stroke ??Is it with intake and heads?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

I have no idea where you were at before you came here. You need to go back to wherever you was and copy then paste all of that text here or type it all in again.

As far as the M goes, I don't know. There are plenty of ways the horsepower can be changed, a different camshaft with higher lift and longer duration is one, bigger valves is another, the shape of the heads, the vortec for instance, larger fuel injectors, etc.

What they specifically have done to this engine, I don't know.

I have had suffix code decoding links saved but they are down, here is one for instance. http://www.chevymania.com/partsid/suffix.cfm?block=Small

That suffix code should tell us a lot of info, but I tried here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=3741197 but that suffix code UCA was not found. Are you sure about them last 3 digits are UCA?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

I looked here, too. I really don't have a saved link to decode 4.3 suffix codes.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/V6_Chevy_90_degree_engines

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

I thought though the first answer I gave you said it was a 1996-1998 CHEVROLET 4.3 L. How much further do you need to narrow the year down and why?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

I did read "The 4.3L V6 got a revised cylinder head in 1996 with specs much like the SBC V8 Vortec L31 cylinder head. " that may answer your question about how they raised the horsepower in 1996 which is what this engine was supposed to be.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

here is 13 pages on that engine, http://www.hotsixes.com/chevy-v6/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I say I want to ID the engine I am asking for the year , which identifies which generation this engine falls into i.e.if it'sthe LG three which means only one year built. I think also it is fair to ask what the M at the end of the cast number represents. Mike you were asking what I was talking about regarding the money for a phone call When you were on my side of this the website proms you to make a call for an additional $26. While I understand you were helpful and your efforts my question is still not answered And please understand the $38 I have already spent his money I had to work four to get an answer
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Ok, what does LG three mean and I asked why you were spelling out numbers. It makes it hard to look them up cause first I have to translate them into digits.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Look, all the information is out there, I would have to spend a lot of time searching through all of the information out there in order to get you an answer, then you will probably ask another question and I would have to spend a lot of time searching down that answer. I suggest you just google the answers, that is all I can do. There is no manual that has this information and it would be impossible for me or anyone for that matter to know all of this information off the top of his head.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

I answered as much as I could!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mike thanks for all your efforts thanks for the URLs however all except the last couple I have been too already I understand the cast number identifies a 4.3 L and it narrows it down to a block of years used with that casting I also understand 4.3's are not as easy to find to nail down with the suffix code like The v8 The Numbers get spelled out is because I say it not type it Mike what you have done here with answers to my questions are fine but the question still remains with M after the casting number some speculate it is representation for marine Or does the M stand for Michigan or maybe Mexico and I thank you for your help but does that mean that no one else associated with this website for which I paid $38 to can tell me thanks again