sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Just had some work done....batteries disconnected for a

Customer Question

just had some work done....batteries disconnected for a while...all back together but now have a P2610 code....?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: P2610 M/Pcm internal engine off timer perf. reset it before going to store....but the code came back.....reset it again but haven't driven yet today.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2006 duramax LLY 3500 LT
JA: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No.....took truck to qualified mech. to replace fan clutch and both idlers along with tensioner assbly. then had install a double BD trans cooler with 800cfm fan.....I'm guessing that is why batteries were disconnected.....just reset codes twice...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that should do has been fine except that.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This is an infernal engine controller failure and usually requires replacement of the ECM.

It's possible that a poor power or ground to the ECM could cause this to set. It isn't likely, but I would recommend load testing the powers and grounds.

If ok then the next thing I would recommend is having a dealer try reprogramming it and see if that takes care of it. There are a handful of internal failure codes which the service information does recommend trying to reprogram the software before replacement, but the diagnostics for this code simply having you test the power and ground feeds and then condemning the ECM.

If the powers and grounds are good and reprogramming doesn't help then the ECM is going to need to be replaced.