Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

I have a 2003 Tahoe 4.8 replaced fuel pulp and fuel

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Tahoe 4.8 replaced fuel pulp and fuel regulator my pressure on the fuel reel is still 43 not sure where to start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: what does that have do do with fuel
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just explained
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have no leaks I just did a knock sensor job clened my injectors. cleaned my throttle body. it runs fine idles fine but when I punch it or pull a load I can tell I don't have all I need so idk...
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you . Have you done a fuel flow test ? And have you replaced the fuel filter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
fueal filter new and pressure runs 42
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know it should run 52 to 60

Thats correct but if you are positive there are no leaks and you replaced the pressure control valve on the fuel rail then it has to be the new pump not putting out enough pressure are all these parts OME or after market?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I baught the Delphi own pump new once thought it was bad so I traded for a new one a couple days later same problem it couldn't be the pump after 2 new ones best u can buy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Maybe could it be a bad fuel filter when though it's new

ok thanx for that info no I don't believe the filer is the problem because it would just reduce flow not pressure.I then am leaning to the pressure control valve , Just for the hell of it where are you hooked up reading the fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am checking it right above the intake right beside the reel. on the opposite side of the fuel pressure regulator on the passenger side
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't ever smell gas anywhere I have looked up and down the fuel lines I just don't understand it its a ver odd situation

Ok thanx for that input. this is what to do to take the guess work out of the equation. this is what we do in the shop to take the guess work out of what the problem is. hook up the gauge on the pump side of the fuel filter and read that pressure , if it's still low it's defiantly the pump, if not hook it up in front of the fuel filter just to eliminate that as well if those two check out then what's left? you got it a week spring in the fuel regulator at the end of the fuel rail. logic Process of elimination rather then guessing.Hope this does the trick for you in pinpointing your problem. If you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just replaced new pressure regulator tonight and the pump tonight again and same thin I hook it up start the engine and it runs 42 43. hit the gas it runs 50
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can the injectors be stedaly leaking how would I check that and could that be my problem

they would have to be leaking pretty bad to drop the pressure that bad. Thought you did a leak test? just run to pressure and shut off and see how long it takes for the pressure to drop. but do those pressure checks as I suggested it will eliminate all possibilities.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok and I will let u know thanks

very well and good luck . Doing those checks will show you where the problem is.