Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

2003 Chevy astro. I have a rumble/hum noise, sound like its

Customer Question

2003 Chevy astro. I have a rumble/hum noise, sound like its coming from the rear.
JA: Are you fixing your Astro yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have replaced both u joints. replaced motor mounts, replaced trans mount, had drive shaft balanced, swapped out drive shaft for a known good one. the noise only happens from 60 mph on up. Have had it on jack stands with rear wheels and axles removed and it still makes the noise.
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: very good
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I would drive it in the air with a stethoscope and listen for the noise, this is probably a bearing noise. Without driving this is hard to diagnose.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Could be a carrier or pinion bearing in the rear end.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had it on jack stands with the wheels and axles removed, I also had the diff cover off and ran it to 60 mph. I had the stethoscope right on the carrier bearing caps and couldn't hear it there. It sounds like its coming from everywhere. The pinion yoke is tight with no slop and feels smooth when turned by hand. Would you hear carrier bearings under 60mph if they were bad? anything under 50mph and it is quiet with no sounds from the rear.