GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I am a locksmith working on programming a new Circle Plus

Customer Question

I am a locksmith working on programming a new Circle Plus transponder key for a 2008 Chevy Silverado. The first time through I discovered at the end of the process the customer's battery was putting out less than 7.0 volts of power. I attached jumper cables and registered a 13.2 V through the system then. I went through the programming sequence again including the 12 minute built in wait time. My instructions were after the 12 minutes wait, turn the ignition to off for 2 minutes, back on for 15 seconds then off and the key should be programmed.At about 9 minutes in the 12 minute mandatory wait, the anti-theft indicator went off. After completing the 12 min wait, 2 minutes off, 15 seconds back on, I removed the key from the ignition, put it back in and turned the system on. The anti-theft light came on for a couple of seconds and went off, telling me the key had been successfully programmed. By this time it was getting dark and the headlights had come on. I then tried to start the vehicle, the headlights dimmed and there was no starter sounds at all. I tried moving the gear shift lever through all the positions checking for a safety lock-out switch malfunction and still got no starter response at all. That was when I noticed the shift lever position indicator was not visible over the P R N D D2 D1 indicators. My programmer is communicated with the vehicle computer because it is picking up the VIN and displaying it, the anti-theft light is responding appropriately, but the dang thing still refuses to start. Any thoughts, suggestions or insights??????
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  mike switzer replied 1 month ago.

have you attempted to manually jump the starter to verify it works?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

No. I have found numerous post on You Tube regarding malfunctioning displays of P R N D L units. Does this Silverado have a mechanical pointer indicator or LED highlight indicator to show which gear is in use.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Everyone can stand down. The owner, while waiting on me to do my PROMPT search, decided to check fuses and found a blown fuse link. When she replaced it, my confidence in the programming of the key was validated and she reported the gear shift indicator LED's also performing as usual once more.

I've never had to wait three days for a reply or conversation with an expert on Just Answers.