Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

2005 malibu maxx, no lights on dash or running lites in

Customer Question

2005 malibu maxx, no lights on dash or running lites in back, can you help
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

let me check where that fuse is it for you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll write, thanks

This what you requested

It will be labelled CLUSTER / THEFT .it controls the cluster & theft module

IT is A 10 AMP fuse

I sent you 2 diagram showing the location and the label description

Bulletin No.: 06-08-49-016B Date: September 12, 2006 TECHNICAL Subject: Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Backlighting Inoperative During Daylight Hours (Reprogram BCM) Models: 2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx 2005-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt 2006 Chevrolet HHR 2005-2006 Pontiac G6, Pursuit (Canada Only) 2006 Pontiac Solstice 2007 Saturn Sky Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 7Y102344 Supercede: This bulletin is being revised to add a statement that backlighting is only active during daylight hours with headlamps manually turned on. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-49-016A (Section 08 - Body & Accessories). Condition Some customers may comment that the backlighting on the IPC does not illuminate in the daylight hours with headlamps manually turned on. They may further state that the backlighting does function at night, but not in the day time. Cause On these vehicles, backlighting for the IPC is not enabled unless the vehicle's lighting photocell determines that there is a nighttime ambient condition. Backlighting is not controlled through the use of the park lamp or headlamp switch. The conditions under which the photocell activates the backlighting may not satisfy each particular customer's personal expectations, or the customer may simply prefer to have the backlighting always illuminated on the IPC when headlamps are manually turned on. Correction Module reprogramming must be done using the Pass-Thru method. Select "Instrument Panel (Backlight Dimming Fix ONLY)" from the Supported Controllers list. For customers who wish to have the IPC backlighting illuminated, a new service calibration is now available that will activate the backlighting to full intensity during daytime hours with headlamps manually turned on. Reprogram the BCM using SPS. The new calibrations are currently available on TIS2WEB. Warranty Information

Zoom and Print Options

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Zoom and Print Options

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Chad, I checked the cluster fuse, it seems ok. Would this be a calibration problem? The dash cluster doesn't work day or nite. also the rear running lites don't work. The brakes and signals both work. What to do?

yes i would definitely get the bcm calibrated or reprogrammed first , it might fix both issues .but if it fixed the cluster not the other

then you continue troubleshooting the running lite issue. most of the time ,programming or replacing solves it

but each case is different and proper testing is needed.

Having it hooked up to gm scanner or equivalent , this way you can communicate with BCM module and check the software version in it and read the values of the parts it controls .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would disconnecting battery do anything to reset the system? Will this be an on going problem?

yes you can disconnect the system and try resetting it

but it want solve it permanently ,i seen them come right back right away after reset and i seen them drive weeks and come back with same issue.

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start