TODD RUZICKA
TODD RUZICKA,
Experience:  Service Consultant at Main Motor Chevrolet
95998009

2005 chevy equinox wont start

Customer Question

2005 chevy equinox wont start
Category: Chevy
Expert:  TODD RUZICKA replied 5 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question! I'm sorry to hear you are having starting issues with your Equinox. It can be very frustrating. I need to ask you some quick questions for diagnostic purposes. Are there and Diagnostic trouble codes stored in the ECM / PCM? When did the issue start, were you driving and the engine suddenly stalled or did it just not start one day?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no codes driving just shut off wont restart its been a couple of monyhs
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there is no spark from the coil 1 power going into
the coil rest are ground

Ok good to know. I assume you've checked for spark with a spark tester connected to a plug wire? Did you check for proper power and grounds at the ignition module connector?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I nave 1 power wire going into the coil and shows 5 grounds

Ok perfect. So, power going into the ignition module yet no spark from the coils?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that is correct

ok, if you have a scan tool, does the engine data show RPMs while cranking?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ill try that now

ok, I'll wait for your answer

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no rpms when cranking

Ok that's important. There is something wrong with the cranking system. You said you replaced the crank sensor correct? What condition was the wiring going to the crank sensor in? Any oil intrusion in the terminals?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the wiring looks good a small amount of oil the old crank sensor was fried when I replaced it

ok. I think we are getting very close to solving our issue, Thank you so much for heling me get to the solution by answering my questions so responsively. I recommend checking all three wires from the crank sensor to the ignition module for excess resistance, should be very low resistance (less than 1 ohm). Next check terminal C at the crank sensor (make sure he connector at the ignition module is plugged back in), it's a light blue / lack wire. With the key on, it should be 12 volts.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok I will have to try that on Saturday thank you

No problem. thank you again for your question. I'd be more than happy to help you in the future if needed. I think it's narrowed down to the ignition module or ECM. If you would be so gracious as to pass on a great thumbs up rating, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again!!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what module or do you the coil pack

Hi and please accept my apologies for my absence. The module I was referring to is the ignition module. If you need futher help, I'd be happy to help tonight or tomorrow, whatever works best for you.