Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

Alternetor starts to charge then stops after 10 sec. New

Customer Question

Alternetor starts to charge then stops after 10 sec. New alt. new battery. what is voltage that is suppose to be going to ecm from alternator?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes when we first start, Batt at 100%
JA: What is the model of your '10 Chevy?
Customer: 2001 olds silhouette
JA: Are you fixing your Silhouette yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All DIY had new Alternator tested had new batt installed checked all fuses.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I want to know what voltage should be from Alternator to ecm ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Check for B+ on the Orange wire at the connector to the alternator. Verify the PCM is sending out 5 volts on the Red wire at the alternator.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

We have seen a lot of alternators with the wrong regulators installed in them which will not turn on with the 5 volts that the PCM puts out. If you get multiple alternators that don't work, try a different supplier. Sometimes AC delco is the only option.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
red wire has 5volts for a short time then drops out. Does 5 volts come from PCM or alternator ?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

5 volts comes from the PCM. If it's dropping out then the PCM might be faulty.

Expert:  Jared D replied 29 days ago.

Let me know if you still need help with this.

Please don't forget to rate.