Experience:  Service Consultant at Main Motor Chevrolet

I put in a new ignition swig u I put in a new ignition

Customer Question

I put in a new ignition swig u I put in a new ignition switch for my car. Its a 2005 chev impala. It will not start for some reason and I don't know what to do
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes it's sorta a new battery I charged it up and all
JA: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yea my cousin did his the same way he doing mine and his work but mines don't. I tried what they do on the internet but it's still not working
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  TODD RUZICKA replied 1 month ago.

Hi and thank you for your question. it sounds like you have to program the theft deterrent system. To do so, make sure the battery is full charged. Turn the ignition key to the run position. The security light will come on / or flash for approx. 10 minutes. After the security light goes out, turn the key off then back on and repeat the 10 minute cycle. Do this a third time. Once you've completed the third cycle, turn the ignition off. The engine should start and run normally. I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its still didn't do nothing

Ok, tell me exactly what you replaced and why? Does the engine crank over?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I replaced the ignition switch. My old one was hard to turn so I had to replace it. I tried what u said do but nothing

Ok, you replaced the ignition switch or the ignition cylinder or both?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Both of them

Ok, so, a theft deterrent program should've worked. Was the security light coming on each time during the programming events during the 10 minutes?

I found the answer. Some models can be manually (as I described) programmed. Your particular model will have to programmed at a GM dealer. If you call around to local dealers, they can give you pricing over the phone to have this done. Let them know what you've done and that you need the BCM programmed. You / they can reference GM doc ID(###) ###-#### This will definitely fix your issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what time I tried the light came on
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Ok got it, Unfortunately you'll have to bring it into a dealer / see previous response. If I can help further in the future, don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks!