Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Having a problem with anti theft light coming on and then

Customer Question

Having a problem with anti theft light coming on and then all cages act crazy
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tried to reset the computer?
Customer: Checked fusses under dash but did not set computer. All started when battery went dead from sitting.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 03 Silverado 1500. Already had cluster rebuild also .
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes! New battery checked grounds had cluster rebuilt
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When anti theft light comes on all other gauges go crazy. Drop and then come back up.. Does not effect running performance though.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

is it just the needle gauges that are effected or will other lights light up or go off ect when its acting up ?

how do you get it to stop acting up when its acting up ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All other lights also come on. Abs, brake, ect. I turn truck off and restart and is good for a min. And anti theft comes on and gauges start doing again.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

can you get it to act up enough to pull back the cluster and test the terminals in the connector ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but had cluster rebuilt cause I know there was a problem from 03 to 06. Don't know how to check plug
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

can you leave the cluster ready to come out with just 2 screws get it to act up and do NOT shut off the truck pull the 2 screws and pull it back and see if at the PINK and the ORANGE wires show 12 volts or more with the truck running

if that checks out fine see what the black one of the black/white wires shows a good confirmed ground.'with a new cluster these issues come down to a bad ignition switch now sending the correct power to the cluster or a bad ground which with a bad ground its best to just make a new ground and connect it to the wire in the connector and be done with it

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good info. Will try
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

sounds good

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is a black wire, black with white strip and white wire. Which is the ground I should replace?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

the black should be a good ground and one of the other should be a ground

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The white wire was tapped into from after market alarm. I disconnected went for a test ride for like 45 minutes everything was good then started again.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

test for those powers and grounds