TODD RUZICKA
TODD RUZICKA,
Experience:  Service Consultant at Main Motor Chevrolet
95998009

I just purchased a used 2007 Tahoe LTZ and the Instrument

Customer Question

I just purchased a used 2007 Tahoe LTZ and the Instrument panel light are only illuminated when the light system in in the night mode. During the day when traveling in shade I cannot see the instruments. You had this question about a year ago from Richard and I was wondering is there was an advancement of a solution.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The lights for the instrument panel, Speed, Tach, Gas, Oil, Voltage, Fuel.
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not fixing yet. I have been told by the dealer that the instrument panel lights are not on during the day is the exterior lamp control is set to auto. The owner manual says that too. I have to set the exterior lamp control to Headlights in order to see the instruments during the day or I cover the light sensor on the dash so it thinks it is night and set the exterior lamp control to Auto and the instruments are illuminated
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  TODD RUZICKA replied 7 months ago.

Hi! It sound to me that you have an issue with the daytime running light system. This will have to be diagnosed by a qualified technician unfortunately. During the sunny times of the day, the I/p and dash illumination lights should come on in a bright mode for proper vision. This is obviously not happening. You may have something as simple as a faulty ambient light sensor (which is most likely the cause). This is the one on the dash in which you are covering. If it's not able to see / sense the correct light, it tells the daytime running light module it dark out, thus not switching to bright mode. Have that sensor checked via a scan tool to see id the reading change when sunny out as opposed to when the sensor is covered.