Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Both timing of a 6.5 turbo diesel the timing marks on the

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Both timing of a 6.5 turbo diesel the timing marks on the camshaft and after having the marks aligned, the setting of the injection pump timing. after the timing of the engine, do you rotate the crank to position the cam gear with the mark at 12:oo Oclock by rotating in a clockwise the crank to set the cam gear at 12:00 Oclock . this engine does have a timing chain.. familiar with gas . learning diesel.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any change in your gas mileage lately?
Customer: Engine was ordered, on line, stripped to have it magnafluxed
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes , major overhaul
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what model vehicle this is for or came from?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I ordered the engine from New York, It came out of a GMC Small Bus, 2002 6.5 turbo diesel . I stripped the engine down to bare block , to have it magnafluxed for cracks in the block . this engine passed the inspection. Overhauling the engine. Information I need: I set the timing on the timing chain. camshaft chain gear timing mark and crankshaft timing chain gear have the timing marks aligned. when installing the injection timing gear on top on the timing cam gear. the injection timing mark is at 6:00 Oclock, do I turn the crank clockwise to place the gear timing mark at 12:00 Oclock. So the injection gear marks align?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
do I turn the crankshaft clockwise to place the injection gear timing mark at 12 oclock so the injection gear on the injection pump will align and set the timing for the injection pump?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Here is some timing installation info on this pump.Let me know if this helped.

This procedure should only be used when a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) has directed you to do so, or one of the following repairs has been performed:
^ A DTC P1214 is set.
^ The engine has been replaced.
^ The front engine cover has been replaced.
^ The powertrain control module (PCM) and the injection pump have been replaced at the same time.
^ The crankshaft position sensor has been replaced.

The PCM has the ability to perform a top dead center (TDC) Offset Learn when one is not present or has been cleared. This procedure allows the PCM to be updated with the correct TDC offset for the vehicle.

IMPORTANT: The TDC Offset specification is only to be used after the Learn procedure has been performed.

Learning a TDC Offset
1. One of the above repairs must have been performed. If not, do not continue. Refer to On Vehicle Service for the repair that was performed.
2. Install the scan tool.
3. Start the engine.
4. Operate the vehicle until the engine coolant temperature (ECT) is more than 77°C (170°F).
5. Clear all DTCs and turn the engine OFF.
6. Turn the ignition ON with the engine OFF.
7. Hold the accelerator pedal in the wide open throttle (WOT) position for a minimum of 45 seconds (this step prepares the PCM to activate the offset learn (internal to PCM) and then release pedal.
8. Turn the ignition OFF for 30 seconds. In this step, the PCM powers down (to verify the PCM has powered down, a No Communication With Vehicle screen will display when trying to access a data list.
9. After the PCM has completed the power down, start the engine.
^ Verify in the scan tool that the ECT is more than 77°C (170°F). If not, operate vehicle until desired ECT is achieved (vehicle can be driven or throttle can be depressed until correct coolant temperature is achieved).

IMPORTANT: A new TDC Offset will over write the previous one.

^ As soon as the ECT is more than 77°C (170°F) and the engine speed is below 1500 RPM, the PCM automatically learns a new offset (a momentary stumble in engine RPM will indicate that the TDC Offset has been activated).
10. Check the TDC Offset in the scan tool. The TDC Offset should be between -0.25 and -0.75. If the TDC Offset is within the specified value, the procedure is complete. If not, continue to the next step (adjusting the injection pump).
11. Turn the engine OFF.
12. Loosen injection pump flange nuts using the J 41089 injection pump wrench.
13. Slightly (1 mm equals 2 degrees) rotate the injection pump in the desired direction (use the J 29872-A to rotate the injection pump) and then retighten the injection pump flange nuts (a scribe line across the pump flange and cover can be used as a reference (1 mm equals 2 degrees) which is the approximate width of a scribe line).

IMPORTANT: In order to achieve a negative (-) TDC Offset number, rotate the pump towards the drivers side of the vehicle.

In order to achieve a positive (+) TDC Offset number, rotate the pump towards the passenger side of the vehicle.

14. Repeat steps 3 through 13 until the correct TDC Offset has been achieved. It is possible that the injection pump may require multiple adjustments to achieve the specified value.
If you are unable to set the correct TDC Offset or the TDC Offset will not learn, check for the following:
14.1.The coolant temperature is more than 77°C (170°F).
14.2.Proper time intervals are observed to for wide open throttle and PCM power down.
14.3.All PCM and injection timing stepper motor connections and for DTCs.
14.4.The Techline terminal/equipment for the latest software version.
14.5.For proper base installation of the injection pump (engine shut-down ESO solenoid should be approximately straight up and down).
14.6.If the TDC Offset is stuck on a high + (plus) value, check for a damaged camshaft driven gear key.
14.7.If the TDC Offset is stuck on a high - (negative) value, check for a damaged or improperly installed crankshaft position sensor.
14.8.If all checks have been performed, the injection pump may be malfunctioning, however, this is an extremely unlikely failure.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete