JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech

Thinking fuel pump or pump module problem, original, 2008

Customer Question

thinking fuel pump or pump module problem
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: original
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2008 Chevy Silverado 2x4 crew cab 5.3
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes fixing myself….trying to diagnose it mainly…won't start sometimes. then when it doesn't start it continues to turn over with no firing. but then there are times I have no problem starting it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: getting worse and worse with more starts
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, when you said somtimes it continues to turn over with no firing, are you meaning it continues even after leeting go of the key?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sometimes it will fire right up, sometimes it will start and then die, then there are times it will turn over and continue cranking even when I let off the key and have to turn the key off for that to stop

Bulletin No.: 03-06-03-001D
Date: August 02, 2007
Starter Cranks After key Is Released (Normal Condition) Models:
2003-2008 Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)
2003-2008 HUMMER H2, H3
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X Attention: This bulletin ONLY applies to vehicles with PCM/ECM controlled starters.
This bulletin is being revised to update the models and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-03-001C (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
Some customers may comment that the engine starter will continue to run after the key is released.
For the 2003 through 2008 model years, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the starter relay based on input from the key switch. When the ignition switch is held in the start position for 0.4 seconds, the PCM/ECM start timer is activated. Once the start timer is activated, the PCM/ECM will continue to crank the starter until either the engine starts or a no start time limit is reached.
Occasionally, the fuel pump module will take one or two seconds to build fuel pressure. Often this will occur after the vehicle sits overnight. During some vehicle starts, the customer may release the ignition switch, keybefore the engine actually starts. When this occurs, the engine will then continue to crank until the engine starts or the no start time limit is reached.
This is a normal condition and no repairs should be attempted for this condition.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you sure? I was almost certain it was a fuel pump issue or something else. Never thought of ignition switch
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is not all the time that the starter is activated and continual cranking occurs. that's what confusing to me. that is just one of the things that happens. there are times it starts right up and then dies as well. then when restarted the continual cranking may occur or it may not. That's what made me believe it to be a fuel pump issue.

ok. we can throw the ignition switch theory out, once i found that bulletin.

do you have tilt steering?

here a print

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tilt steering yes.

does the vehicle start now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
8230;as previously stated it is intermittent. sometimes it will start up with no issues, sometimes it will start and then die a second later, and sometimes it will turn over and continually crank with no start up.

ok, move the steering wheel up and down to see if you can get a no start condition

intermittent problems are very difficult to troubleshoot as you know. especially when the vehicle is starting.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just cycled through 4 times all tilt positions with it starting every time. moved back to my normal position and tried one last time and started and died. then tried to start agin and would not start. turned key off for 10 seconds and started right up. intermittent i meant 1 out of every 5-6 starts it does not start right up

Models: 2007 -2009 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT

2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

(Equipped with Gasoline Engines)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Some customer may experience one or all of the following concerns.
1) Intermittent No Crank or No Vehicle Power ( The customer may get the impression that the vehicle actually has a dead battery )
2) Volt gauge fluctuates, and seems to decrease when a high load accessory is turned on ie.. headlamps, wipers
3) IPC backlighting flickers or IPC goes blank
4) Diagnostic Code: B1325 set in several modules followed with a Dtc: C0900 set in the EBCM.
5) Radio clock resets
6) Intermittent Stall
7) Hvac temperature actuator defaults to hot
8) Door locks cycle

If you experience one or all of the following concerns and a cause for the concern can't be identified, please check the following items:
1) Remove the 175 amp Mega fuse and inspect for arcing, if any type of arcing is found replace the effected components.
2) When re-installing the 175 amp Mega fuse, torque fasteners that attach the mega fuse to the positive cables to specification in SI.
3) Check the voltage drop reading on the positive and negative battery cables. The voltage drop should be performed with the fuel injectors disabled and while cranking the engine. The voltage drop should not exceed 200 mV. If the voltage drop is above 200 mV, replaced the effected cable.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i don't think i fall under any of those really. it always cranks so I've never thought battery. and its died when first started not stalled i would say.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what are symptoms of a fuel pump or fuel pump module going out?

hard starts. a history of running on 1/4 tank or less, low fuel pressure.

Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 1 month ago.

have you tested fuel pressure when it acts up?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am having trouble with my 2008 Chevy silverado 5.3L crew cab short bed with starting and running. Recently I noticed I would go to start my truck and it would start up and then die immediately. Then start right back up no problem. Then after about 5-7 days later it would do it again and then when restarting it would crank over and not fire and continue to crank without me turning the key anymore. I would have to turn the key into the off position for that to stop. Then I would wait a few seconds and try and start it again and it would start right up. Now it seems to be having problems every other day or maybe with a lot of starts in a day every single day. Curious if I'm looking at a fuel pump or fuel pump module problem or something else. There is no fuel pump relay fuse in the control box. any info on what to try would be helpful.

do you have a fuel pressure tester?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not tested the pressure or noticed that….how would I do that? it's very sporadic when it acts up. It could be the very first start up for the day or right after shutting it off after driving 100 miles. I do not have a tester or know how to use one….

sounds like a fuel pump thats starting to fail ,,basically a fuel pressure gauge is connected to the service port on the fuel rail to check for fuel pressure

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There's no check to see if it is exactly fuel pump though without removing the bed basically? I know I can drop the tank but I just filled up the other day again and sitting with 3/4 tank. I'm just making sure I'm heading down the right avenue of thinking before unbolting the bed. Also was reading up about the fuel pump module but don't think it's that….

the pump comes in the module....but a fuel pressure test would be the way to confirm before taking it apart...but yes it sounds like your on the right path

any further questions feel free to reply

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!